Lampshade transformation

I bought these lamps over 10 years ago and have never really loved the shades until today!!!!  They were made of  this wierd felt like material that hung on to dust and I could not stand the look of them any longer so I stashed them in a closet and they have been hiding for the past 5 years.  Sometimes it just strikes you that today is the day to make a change so I drug them out of the closet and decided they needed a makeover.  I had some curtain material from our old house that I loved but have no place for in our new house so now these curtains will become lampshades! 
 This is the after photo
 
 This is the shade before, ugly right!!
 
 I started tearing it apart
 
 More tearing
 
 The frame after I tore it all apart
 
 I used the old shade to make a pattern for the new, I thought about using a sharpie but decided to use chalk to trace instead.  The shade was sewn together in two pieces.
 
 The pattern after tracing, I doubled the curtain over so when I cut I would have the two pieces I needed for each shade.
 
 The patterns cut and ready to sew
 
 I sewed both sides from top to bottom
 
 Nice fit, now just hot glue it on
 
 I also hot glued the inside back on since it came off in one piece, I thought why not and it will give it more of a finished look like I bought in a store. 
The finished product, I also painted the lamp bases and finials because they were ugly too.  Now they are a great showpiece on my dining room buffet.  Took me less than 2 hours and I love them!!


No comments:

Post a Comment