Coat Check Room

This plain space in our house called out to be a mudroom it is on the way out to the garage and there is a coat closet right there but I wanted it to have more.  I was in town one day and an old house had a pile of old wide wood trim out for the trash and it was stained dark walnut, of course I stopped and got as much of it into my car that would fit, even went back the next day to get more.  Now that I had the trim what to do with it.....ah-ha lightbulb moment plain room turned coat check room, I know it really is a mudroom but I just love old timey stuff and coat check rooms are almost a thing of the past so it will be a Coat check. 

Went to my local Hardware store to scavage the Oops paint because our house is painted flat and this room will get a lot of use so I needed somethng I could wipe down.  Found a color I liked came home painted, then after I hammered all of the nails out of the back of the trim my Dad came over (another benefit of living close to family) with his miter saw and we cut 2 of the boards to fit in the space.  I sanded and gave them another coat of stain and some poly and we hung them and added some hooks.  I had some old end tables of my grandparents that I covered to be used as stools, made a Coat Check sign and now that space is beautiful.  I could not be happier with it, exactly as I envisioned!!

 Before-plain and boring
 
 After: a brand new old timey coat check
Love it, now the kids have a place to keep their stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment